Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Big Strides

Yet again, I will go back and fill in the gaps - someday...I Promise!!

However, I must share! Big strides in Mikaela's physical development during the past week and a half. Last Monday, May 5th, we began physical therapy. We worked mainly on tummy time. Yemi, the therapist, did some passive range of motion on her limbs as well as some rolling over. She told me not to work with her on rolling over as she still has limit on her range of motion in her shoulder area. Just stick to tummy time. Okay...will do!

I found it a bit difficult to fit in the practice due to her eating schedule and wondered would she be comfortable on her belly so soon after eating?? If I waited, she got too tired and then was grouchy! What to do?

Well, what little we did proved to be enough! On Monday, May 12th, Yemi noticed a big improvement in her shoulders! Before she arrived, I noticed Mikaela, while laying on her back, grabbed her feet! This is the first time she has done that! She is also reaching for toys held at mid-point (or mid-line) in front of her and her shoulders are coming forward - not so stiff and held behind her. Subsequently, during therapy time, we worked a lot on rolling over! She did five times to the right then five times to the left. Maybe more... Then we worked on pulling up for head control. This week, I am to continue to work on tummy time and fit in rolling over and sitting with assistance. Put her on her tummy when ever and as much as she will tolerate!

MIKAELA ROLLED OVER FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY FROM BACK TO TUMMY! She rolled to her left two times! I was so thrilled for her! What a quick learner!

Well, I gotta run. I am taking dinner to a Mom in our MOMS group who just had a baby. Oh...by the way...when we were on vacation in Mexico, I wrote a lot in Mikaela's journal to catch up on some of those blank posts....I just have to make the time to type it in for you all! Thank you for your patience and support!

No comments: