Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The 'test' results

So the 'test' we used is the Integrated Scales of Development Checklist for Listening, Receptive and Expressive Language. It is put out by Cochlear Co. I think there is another area for us still to evaluate, but this is what we have so far...

Her current results are:

Listening she is a solid 13-15 months with emerging skills at the 16-18 month range.

Receptive is the same

Expressive is about 10-12 months with emerging skills at the 13-15 month range. (Thank God for ASL because sign counts!) Her oral expressive is right on track, in my humble opinion, for someone who has only had access to speech for about 5 months. Only those who live with her can really understand her expressive approximations. For example: Outside is 'ow, eye', Da Da is "aa, aa", More is 'muh', Bye-bye is still "eye, eye". The two words that are pretty darn clear are "Hi" and "mouth" (she says "mouf" - but the 'f' doesn't always show up. :-))

Like I said before, I couldn't be happier with how well she is doing in only 5 months! I think she understands a lot, and it is so cool to see that she is benefiting from the CI. I am happy that we did choose to give her this opportunity. It helps that she really wants to learn to listen and speak. She watches our mouth like a hawk!! One if my favorites is when we sing and sign the ABC song, she appears to move her lips with ours and her fingers are trying to do the signs! I have to get that on video!!!

Well, I am dog tired and I have another full day tomorrow. So I am signing off for now! Good night, all!

1 comment:

PolyglotMom said...

I totally agree with the oral expressive being right on track!

btw - I just wanted to let you know that Life with Lucas has a new URL:

http://lifewithlucasrc.blogspot.com

Thanks!