Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So much!

I have to say, Mikaela is doing very well these days. Thank God.

We did have a scare on the 17th of May, though. She woke up not happy. I assumed teething, but she was miserable. I put her in bed early for a rest - didn't think she'd nap because it was before lunch, but thought she could just use some quiet time. Around 11 a.m. she was making noises that I knew I should go up. She was pastey white, sweaty and clammy. She had absolutely no color in her lips or face. I picked her up and thought maybe she caught a virus. About a minute and a half later, she puked all over us. Lovely! I ran in the bathroom and managed to get the next wave or two in the appropriate location!

Kurt came up and cleaned up. I got us both changed and went downstairs to the couch armed with the basin and some cloths and tissues. She continued to throw up and by 1 p.m. it had the all-to-familiar green tinge to it. I called my step-mom and asked if she could cover Juliana as we were heading back over to CHoP for another bowel obstruction. I was a complete mess! Because I knew what was in store for her....surgery.....AGAIN....(I was also very bummed to miss the picnic for our South Jersey Family Fun Group!) You have to see how badly this affects her. She is completely colorless, listless, weak. So weak in fact that I have to hold her head up as she vomits. It's scary!

She continued to vomit until we got to CHoP around 4:45 p.m. Still green. Then all of a sudden, she turned a corner. She began to sit on her own. Point to things and play with my necklace. Hmm....this was different. Well, she went through the gambit. IV, NG tube, blood work, CT scan, contrast X-ray. We got admitted to the surgical floor, yet they saw no blockage on the scans. Interestingly enough, she was much more alert than in the times past. This was both good and bad. Good because maybe there wasn't a blockage....Bad because she CARED that they were poking, prodding, sticking her every so often! The NG tube wasn't bringing up anything of consequence. The scans were clean....She didn't need surgery after all! The doctors can't say what would cause the green vomit - other than a blockage. So, I believe that we got a miracle. There must have been a blockage, but it must have untwisted itself. I believe that all the prayers were heard and answered. Again, thank God!

So physically, Mikaela is beginning to get much more confident! She is cruising like a pro. Gets up and lowers herself with much more ease and stability. She can crawl super fast now. She walks pretty well with a push toy, but not looking like walking on her own for a while longer. I really wish she could walk because she is getting so heavy for me to carry. We are both gaining weight at a nice pace and my back is paying the price! Her core strength is getting better and all the PT is showing it's effect.

Listening wise, she is doing amazingly! Her TOD and I did a 'test' with documentation that would let us know where she is compared to a 'typical' hearing child and she surprised me! She is comprehending solidly at a 12-14 month level (I think). Oral expressive language is maybe 9 months or so. Once I get a copy of the results, I'll post a correction.

She does really well with signing though! She is beginning to string two signs together!! Like 'more, o'. For 'more cheerios'. Or more and please! It's so awesome and something I just took for granted with Justin and Juliana.

Each week I see so many new accomplishments that I am thrilled with her progress. She seems so much happier and her pediatrician thinks she 'engages' more than a typical 18 month old. She wants to play with you, not just alongside you. My thought is: all that therapy is why!

I can't believe it's June already and in only 3 months, we'll be adding another blessing to our family! I couldn't really be happier!

2 comments:

The Brights said...

Yay for miracles!

Soudns like Mikaela is doing great with her CI! Before too long, she'll have closed those language gaps! Amazing, isn't it?

Keep up the good work!

My prayers are with you - 3rd trimesters are not fun in summer!

PolyglotMom said...

What a blessing that she didn't need surgery again! Praise God!

Lucas is also still not walking, and getting really heavy! I'm looking forward to him walking, and we're working hard with PT.

Look at that list of receptive spoken words! How wonderful! So excited that she's seeing lots of CI success!

Thanks for your post on cicircle, btw. Take care!