Thursday, November 6, 2008

2 hour CI Info meeting

Today we had our two hour informational meeting about expections with getting a CI. Not so much about equipment or surgery, but more about parental support, learning to listen, setting our expections of performance after activation, advocating for her needs once Mikaela reaches school age, and the like. It was really good to know that CHOP has such an extensive support network in place for their hearing loss kiddos.

Because of the fact that I work part time from home, I have more time than others may to research all this stuff. Most of what was shared I already knew, but it is good to hear it again. The content that I do not yet know is what the law says about her rights and entitlements in the school setting. I am aware of which services Mikaela is eligible to receive from 0-3 through Early Intervention. Since I have a few other things to work through with her presently, I am just enjoying the moment now. I don't plan to concern myself with those details just yet. She just turned ONE...for Pete's sake!! CHOP made it clear that they have classes and information on this topic that we can attend/receive as time goes by.

We did go over quite a bit of things to do at home for habilitation. That part was kind of fun and actually got me more excited about this whole process. There were video clips of some CI kids in their therapy sessions and it was very emotional for me to see the progress they were making.

We spent a bit of time dicussing Deaf culture, ASL, NTID, Gallaudet and how the CI fits in today. Then we speculated a bit about how the CI may play a role there in the years to come. This part was valuable to me as you know, this is where my struggle lies. Our presentor had her views based on 41 years in the field. She was strong in her conviction. Some of the things she said made perfect sense and other things were said of which I did not agree.

I also want to share that yesterday, I did go to another pediatrician for a second opinion on Mikaela's GI and developement issues. I loved her!! We will be switching in December - after surgery. No need to switch now and cause any snafus with billing or whatever!! Plus the girls are due for part two of the flu shot at the end of the month. We'll finish that where we are and start new next month. I look forward to keeping you all updated with that!

Well, this has been on heck of a week. I am spent. I have some preparation to do for a call I have in the morning. Good night to all of you and 'talk' to you soon!

No comments: