Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A day in the life...

As promised, I wanted to share with you my day yesterday....

Of course Monday night we went to be too late due to the Olympic addiction, so when the alarm went off, I was a little groggy getting started. Juliana had her horseback riding lesson at 8:45 so we have to leave by 8:15. Kids fed, dressed and pulling out of the driveway by 8:17....ooooh, look at me go! I even remembered a drink for Juliana!

As we pulled into the farm I realized I didn't bring my check book. How was I to pay for the services rendered??? Yikes! I went through my wallet, through the bottom of the purse looking for change and managed to come up with the fee, less twenty-five cents! Not bad!

So we are unloading and I noticed that Juliana's apple juice spilled all over the floor of the van...I had stuck it in the diaper bag to carry it out and promptly forgot to put it in the cup holder for the drive. Now the carpet is in need of a Resolve treatment and the diaper bag and all of it's contents are pretty soaked. Okay...no big deal. It can be fixed.

Her lesson went well. Lisa, her instructor, said she has never seen a child post so well after only three lessons. My girl is a natural! Look out, Daddy!

We get home around 10 and I only have to go back out at 11 for the pony camp I signed her up for this week in Cherry Hill. I decided to leave most of the stuff in the car. I took in the soggy portion of the diaper bag as well as the bag itself and started a load of laundry. The remaining contents are in one of those environmentally friendly green shopping bags which I always have spilling all over my van. My purse, in the car. I even decide to leave the keys in the car. I'm only coming in to do a quick client coaching call, let Mikaela nap for a bit, pack her lunch and roll back out.

At about five minutes before 11:00, I go out to put her lunch in the car and start the air. It didn't make the usual dinging sound. It was a really strange clicking sound. Oh, no! I attempt to start it, nuthin! Battery dead. Yep! I left the lights on. No way! It was only an hour. Sounds like time for a new battery! Ugh! Well pony club is a no go for 'this day' as Juliana would say. At least I hadn't woken Mikaela yet!

I call AAA expecting it to be an hour or more. I pulled out the chocolate chip cookie dough I had made the night before and decided to bake them. I preheated the oven and attempted to drop them out onto my baking stones. Too hard still. I suppose I have to let them sit for a while. I turned off the oven.

Surprisingly, AAA came in only 13 minutes! WOW! I guess they have kept up with the high service response demand of today's instant gratification society! Who knew? I haven't had to use them in years.

My car was running and the nice gentleman said to let it run for about a half hour or so to recharge the battery. He also recommended getting it tested. Yah....I'm on it!

I decided to let Mikaela finish her nap. Hopefully this would help her get over the cold. My grandparents are coming on Thursday to stay with us for the weekend and I want us all to be at or near our best.

I kept checking the consistency of the dough and when it seemed scoopable, I turned the oven back on. I didn't hear that familiar click and hiss of the gas range. I didn't hear anything. The temperature stayed fixed at 112 degrees. (I guess it had retained a couple degrees from the earlier heating, because it usually starts at 100.) Then nuthin! Oh, great! The oven is broken!

I called Johnnies Appliances who had fixed our dryer a few months back and set up a service call. The nice lady said they could come Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Uh, Wednesday, please! I have my grandparents coming, I need an oven!!! I don't know what we are cooking yet, but I need an oven! I asked her if she had any cancellations/openings left that afternoon, please remember me.

I called my mom to fill her in on the excitement of the day...as we were talking, Johnnies Appliances called in! She said there was a guy in my neighborhood finishing up a call and he could come over! YAY!!! He came in about 20 minutes and about 20 minutes after that, I had a working oven, to the tune of $162.50. How much is a new oven???? I hope this repair buys me another 8 years.

Kurt came home about 3:30 and I filled him in on the day and he said I wasn't allowed to touch anything else because I cost him too much already. I quickly reminded him that I saved him money. Had we needed a new oven, it would have cost him a kitchen remodel!!

No comments: