Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Her new "Do"

Lately, Mikaela will not leave the hearing aids alone. Unless I am sitting with her and occupying her with toys and redirecting her hand, she is pulling at them constantly. Even more so when she is tired. Let's say she is in the 'neglect-o-sphere' (1), aka exersaucer, and I run in the kitchen to stir the sauce, all I hear is that lovely high-pitched squealing feedback. Then I run back in the family room, pop it back in her ear and the whole thing repeats every 45 seconds or so.

She also found her barrettes. They don't last either. The challenge with them is no lovely high-pitched squealing feedback to let you know that it has been removed and making it's way into her mouth - as all things do with a 9 month old. So after about 3 days and 6 heart attacks when I cannot locate the barrette for several minutes, I tried the small, clear, ouchless rubber bands. No success there either!

I have too many other things to have heart attacks over, so Mikaela has a new do! No longer are barrettes required to keep her hair out of her eyes. I hope you all like it!

Oh....I also have found a remedy for the hearing aid issue....a pilot cap! I will post that picture after nap time!
Footnotes:
(1) The term "neglect-o-sphere" was shared with me by our friend Meredith P.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

"neglect-o-sphere" -- that has got to be the funniest thing I have heard all day! Hilarious! Love it!

Good luck keeping those HAs in! Eventually, she will learn to accept them as second nature, and the days of "catch-me-if-you-can" will be a distant memory. For the mean time, here is a great list of suggestions from Listen-Up:

http://www.listen-up.org/haid/aids-out.htm

tammy said...

She is just adorable! Seems like there's a lot of us there going through the ins and outs of hearing aids! Aiden gets his hands up by his ears and "flips" them off and they go flying! I really need to get on line and get some of those pilot caps!

Anonymous said...

Hey Faith!

I've been keeping up w/ reading Mikaela's blog. I've been keeping her (& you) in my prayers, especially w/ all of her digestive stuff. Poor baby!

I think Mikaela & Elizabeth would get along well... Your comments about Mikaela continuing to mess w/ her hearing aides & hair clips sound just like my girl. Fortunately, Elizabeth is still rather bald at this point, so I haven't had to mess w/ hair accessories! But I know if she had anything near her head region it wouldn't stay there for long. I can't wear earrings or any other jewelry except for my rings (which don't come off my fingers! ha!) because she'll try to rip them off of me. She especially loves "pretty" stuff & seems to think it will make a great snack. I feel very fortunate that she hasn't choked to death already. She finds it quite amusing when I'm hurrying over to her when she's placing an unknown object in her mouth. She hurries up & plops it in there while laughing & grinning. We don't have a neglect-o-sphere, so she gets banned to her "cage" quite often.

I look forward to seeing the pic of her in her pilot cap! Too funny.

PolyglotMom said...

Hi there! I found your blog this morning on deaf village (I just added mine and wanted to see if my post was there)... and I am so excited to find someone else going to CHOP! I read through many of your posts, and I think we're even using many of the same professionals... Erin C. is our audiologist, Rebecca is our AVT, Dr. Kazahaya is our ENT (seeing him for the first time on 8/13... we used to see Dr. Potsic), and we're meeting with Michael J. for our CI info meeting on August 11. We're headed to genetics on August 20 too. Lucas' hearing loss is quite profound across the board, we have yet to even be able to chart it. All we know is that he reacted at 105 db in the booth in both years, and that we never got a response on any of the ABRs we had done. He's not so bad with his hearing aids yet, but we're ready with a pilot cap too! He's about 2 months younger than Mikaela, so it may be soon that he pulls at them a lot. I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed reading your blog. I hope we can keep in touch! Jen

lucasreedcampbell.blogspot.com