Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Digestive Situation Update

Most of you know that Friday, June 27th, Mikaela threw up again in the morning. Our insurance company (United Health Care) has a 24 hour nurse line. I called it months ago and ever since, we have been in contact quite regularly with "our nurse". Her name is Christine. On Monday, June 30th, she just happened to call to check in with us. I explained about the vomiting and my theories on her slow developing GI system. She immediately asked me how she was doing with sitting unassisted. I said actually, the week of June 16th she was sitting for only 3-5 seconds without support. However this week, she was up to like three minutes!! (I am thrilled, by the way, for the progress in her core strength!!!) Christine said that core strength i.e. sitting unassisted and the digestive track mature at the same time. So, an indicator that a baby is ready to begin cereal or stage one jar food is that she can sit up by herself for a spell. Well, who knew???? I mean I know that it says stuff about keeping baby in an upright position to make swallowing easier, but I never knew about the parallel development.

I have also learned through Mikaela's hearing loss that the ears and the kidneys develop simultaneously. Just sharing for giggles!

So, because she is really sitting up well, I am hopeful that in August, I can start foods again!

No comments: