Friday, February 29, 2008

That first day - 10/26/07

So the delivery was interesting.... yea, right!! I had nausea from the anesthesia and was gagging for several minutes. They then put something in my IV to alleviate that - thank Heaven! Due to Mikaela's size, the OB doctor was literally standing on the table and pushing down with all her might to force Mikaela out the incision. The anesthesiologist said, "Take a deep breath." There was NO way I could! I could barely take any breath with a woman standing on my chest! She was the biggest girl born that morning. (I didn't keep up with any births after hers.) There was a boy born 9.6 and she was 9.4. What a great apgar score - 9 both times they tested! So off to recovery I went. Dad went to the nursery with Mikaela and then when she was settled greet the family and then back to spend time with me until they put us in a room.

We were discussing what to name our new bundle - or bouquet as Kurt often refers to her. We were down to Mikaela or Karina from a list of MANY!! You now know the selection, but truly for about 5 hours, she was undecided....or "Baby Weikert" to the hospital staff. It is hard to choose a name. However, after a while, it just becomes a tag to identify the real person. It is always such a big decision for me, (I'm sure I'm not alone) but within a few months, they just ARE. She just seemed to be telling me that she was Mikaela, and daddy agreed.

Everyone was so excited to welcome her into this world. Nan, Poppy, Mom-Mom, Pop-Pop, & Juliana were waiting in the waiting room. Grandmom, Aunt Kathy, Aunt Carla, Aunt Natalie, Jennifer all arrived that first day to scoop her up. The visitors just kept coming...this little girl is so loved.

No comments: