Thursday, April 16, 2009

The consonants are coming!!! The consonants are coming!!!

Mikaela continues to thrill us each day! She really has quite the sense of humor and loves to make us laugh!

So much progress is happening all around. Let's start with hearing/speech. She is really aware of sounds now. She has begun to apply meaning to the sounds she is hearing and has quite of list of words she recognizes orally only. That amazes me! (I will be adding a list on the blog page soon.)

What is thrilling me the most is when she babbles! After being activated around 3 months, she began to make sounds she has never made before! She is beginning to make sounds like typical hearing babies make! It is such a thrill since for so long, the only sounds she made was "AH", and "NG". To hear her babble is nothing I take for granted..... She added vowels like "eeee", O (long and short) U (short only). She added consonants as well!! She has P, B, F, and M. She has been saying: up, woof (sounds like uff), ow, (as in meow), ab, (we aren't sure what that is to her, but she uses it a lot!) mamamama, and her favorite ...Uh-Oh. This has been status quo for several weeks now. She kinda stalled here. Since her last mapping, she has actually has dropped some consonants. She has gone back to "uh, uh, uh" for up, up, up. She dropped the F for a while at the end of woof, woof, but it has come back this week. It makes me wonder if there is something up with this last mapping. Or is she developing other areas and pressing pause on the original gains? I know typical kids do this sometimes.

Darn, I hear Mikaela waking up from naptime...so, I suppose I'll write more soon! It won't be so long....I promise!

1 comment:

PolyglotMom said...

That's great! It sounds like she's making some awesome progress!